The easiest of easy tiffin recipe for those moms whose youngsters ignore lunch during break. I remember I used to give this food a titbit fun shape. My kids always complained to me that the smell emanating the boxes did tend to pull a crowd of their friends towards it and they had to hide to have a little themselves. One can make this healthy dish in a couple of minutes using very few ingredients and also make it a more than satisfiably delicious one.August 15, 2015by Barnali Dutta
Tips: Take a plate, slightly grease with oil or butter and spread the cooked semolina evenly. Cut it with fun shaped cookie cutter or cake mold. Pack this healthy, eye catching and delicious tiffin in your kid's lunch box.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings Calories per serving: 360 kcal Fat per serving: 3% Carbs: 14% Protein: 26%
- Dry roasted Semolina, sooji: 1/2 cup
- Small cubed carrots, onions, [green, yellow, red] capsicums: 1/3 cup
- Minced chili and ginger: 2 tsp
- Curry leaves: 5 to 6
- Blanched, peeled and pureed fresh tomato: 1/2 cup
- Salt and sugar to taste
- For tempering asafoetida powder a little pinch, and whole cumin, mustard seeds, and crushed peanuts: 1 tsp each
- Fresh lemon juice: one whole lemon
- Coriander leaves [cilantro]: for garnishing
- Cooking oil
- Butter [optional]
- In a large pot boil 1 cup water [for 1/2 cup sooji], add tomato puree, 1/2 cup, in the boiling water, add salt and sugar as necessary and simmer.
- In a pan take one teaspoon butter or oil, stir the cubed vegetables slightly, should not change their color.
- Add semolina in the simmering pot little by little and keep stirring with a ladle to prevent making of lumps. Now put off the fire.
- Add vegetables quickly and mix with the semolina.
- In a tempering pan take 2 tsp oil add mustard seeds after crackling add cumin seeds, minced chili and ginger, asafoetida powder, curry leaves and peanuts. Stir a little and add to the cooked semolina.
- At the end add lemon juice and cilantro, mix slightly.